* POR 15 and Wiring Harness *

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: * POR 15 and Wiring Harness *
From: "Brazinski, Wayne" <Wayne_Brazinski@compuware.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 22:12:57 -0500 charset="iso-8859-1"
Hi everyone,

My 2 cents:

POR 15:

I used the gloss black version of this on my frame and it was (is) awesome.
I made a couple of mistakes (surprise):

1) I let the first coat dry too long.  I called the distributor and they
said "degloss" with 600 grit and then apply another two coats.  Bummer - it
took forever.  I used Metal Ready (VERY SPARINGLY) and it converted some
flash rust, and left an oxide coating which is supposed to help with
adhesion.  I did this purely because it was the frame and I did not want to
take any chances!

2) I worked the POR15 on the rear tubular cross braces too much and they
bubbled.  I think this is because I introduced too much air.  The air
contains water (I did it in an Illinois Summer, during the day!!!) and since
the POR 15 cures with water it went off too fast, released CO2 gas, which
caused the bubbles.  I repainted over them, but those areas look like s**t.

3) Definitely use the disposable brushes, and only pour a small amount of
POR 15 into a can or similar.  I used lightweight plastic cups one time and
the POR 15 ate them up!  By using small amounts at a time you reduce the
amount of disturbance to the POR 15, and you are always working with pretty
fresh stuff.  Don't leave the lid off the big can or you will regret it
(don't ask!).  I had the stuff on my hands and arms for weeks.  The drips I
got on my face (don't ask!) were removed with hard scrubbing and aftershave.
I had a really red face and reeked!

4) I punched holes in the bottom of the can with a screwdriver, and covered
them with Duck tape after to seal.  Worked really well.

5) The POR 15 URL is http://www.por15.com .  You may have a local
distributor though, I do.

Wiring Harness :

I just ordered a full Harness for my TR3A from British Wiring in Olympia
fields, Illinois.  I have NO PRIOR KNOWLEDGE of this company, but they are
quite a bit cheaper than the big three.  Here's the URL :
http://www.britishwiring.com/

They seem very nice, but since Irv Korey did not use them there may be
something I do not know.

regards,

Wayne Brazinski
TS 78910 L