Re: Triumphs and Chinese Philosphy, (little LBC).

To: pfischer@unicom.net, bethken@erols.com (Beth & Ken), triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Triumphs and Chinese Philosphy, (little LBC).
From: GuyotLeonF@aol.com
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 14:07:22 EST
In a message dated 10/02/00 02:50:22 GMT Standard Time, pfischer@unicom.net
writes:

<< Subj:     Re: Triumphs and Chinese Philosphy, (little LBC).
 Date:  10/02/00 02:50:22 GMT Standard Time
 From:  pfischer@unicom.net (Pat Fischer)
 To:    bethken@erols.com (Beth & Ken)
 CC:    GuyotLeonF@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net

 Didn't you love the idea of "stuckness" Pirsig came up with?  Remember, his
 frustration with trying to get off the bolt, tried everything, about ready to
 throw the motorcycle over a cliff; and he thought that that was the supreme
 moment in quality or creativity... the moment past that stuckness where you
 started thinking of the alternatives.

 I copied the section for a Triumph club newsletter once. Although, I have to
 admit that the pain of "stuckness" is much more vivid a memory to me than the
 brilliant idea that may have come after. :-)

 Pat Fischer

 Beth & Ken wrote:

 > Leon;
 >
 > Ever read "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" by Robert Pirsig?
 > You'd like it, as it talks very much of a Taoist approach to maintaining a
 > machine (as far as that's possible). It taught me how to walk away from a
 > frustrating job, and return to one that no longer frustrates (might take
 > more than one "walk away").
 >
 > ken shapiro
 > baltimore
 > 1970 GT6+ KC81872L
  >>
>>>That's curious, my word for it is 'stiction' ...

but it amounts to much the same thing ;-)

Léon

Triumph Sports Six Club
International Liaison Secretary
1963 Triumph Vitesse 2-Litre Convertible
Wimbledon, London, England.