Re: Motorcycle fork oil in lever shocks (was TR-3A - Rear shock absorber

To: John Cowan <jfcowan@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: Motorcycle fork oil in lever shocks (was TR-3A - Rear shock absorber fluid)
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 14:13:56 -0500
Cc: TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
John Cowan writes:
   Most respondents to my question about what oil to use for topping up
TR-3 rear shocks recommended motorcycle fork oil.  Sounds like a good idea.
 They suggested draining the old fluid first.
    A few also noted that it was possible to choose the viscosity of the
fork oil.  I'd like to firm them up by using 30 or 40 weight, as
recommended, but am concerned that it would increase the stress and strain
on the shock absorber internals.  Optional heavy duty shocks were offered
for the TR-3, which might indicate that messing with the regulars was
courting problems.
    Any further thoughts?
Thanks.
    John
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

John,

I wouldn't worry about the additional stress and strain on the suspension
and frame.  They are quite robust and over designed.  At any rate folks
have been playing around with shocks for years with no untoward effects.

A friend of mine ran a raceing Midget.  He said they drained the shock
oil and replaced it with STP!  Now that's stiff.

The heavy duty shocks are standard shocks with revised valving inside.
Changing the shock oil is equivilent to changing the valving.  Why do they
sell heavy duty shocks with revised valving instead of shocks with heaver
oil?  Because anyone can change the oil and they wouldn't have a market.

That said, I have heavy duty shocks on my TR6 and they work fine.

Dave