Mother of Inverntion

To: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>, Spitfire List <spitfires@autox.team.net>, "spitfire-enthusiast@egroups.com" <spitfire-enthusiast@egroups.com>
Subject: Mother of Inverntion
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 15:51:25 -0700
No, we're not talking about Frank Zappa again.  What we're talking about
is making something work when the right tool is not available.

I had my front springs cut down and bought a set of SPAX shocks from
BPNW for Tiny Tin, the healing Mk1 Spitfire Race car project.

I don't have a spring compressor, although I probably ought to break
down and buy one.  I checked around to see if anybody locally has
something that I could use and coming up empty, I decided to see what I
had available to improvise a solution.

Here's what I came up with: (You will have to turn on your imagination
to picture the crude but effective solution).

I took a 12 inch long 3/8" grade 8 bolt and using spacers and washers
(camber compensator parts), I threaded the bolt through the bottom eye
of the shock.

I found a pair of Heavy duty turnbuckles that were originally planned
for supporting a 100 foot base antenna.  I attached the lower end of
each turnbuckle to the ends of the bolt and extended them to their
maximum length.

I placed the spring on the shock and the top bracket over the spring and
took a Spitfire brake drum (the center hole is perfectly sized to fit
around the three bolts that secure the top bracket) and used it for the
top piece.

I connected the upper ends of the turnbuckles to either end of a 1/4"
speed handle (the offset in the middle allows clearance to attach the
upper bushing and nut).

I tightened the turnbuckles about 3 twists each in rotation until the
shock mounting stud came up high enough to clear the bracket and allow
installation of the bushing, 2 washers and the nut.

Not overly glamorous, but highly effective.

Next project:  Making a silk purse from a sow's ear!

Regards,
Joe

--
 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer