Re: Mother of Inverntion

To: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@gte.net>, "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>, <spitfire-enthusiast@egroups.com>
Subject: Re: Mother of Inverntion
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 16:29:06 -0800charset="iso-8859-1"
Joe,

Great job.  I took the easy way out and paid a tire and wheel store $25 to
remove the OEM shocks and replace 'em with the Koni's I bought.  I had
serious fears of injury and didn't want to pay $50 for a spring compressor.
Back in the mid 70's, I picked up a cheap $10 spring compressor from Pep
Boys that was designed to lower the car in a cheap and easy way.  A low
rider special, I guess.  Anyhow, I used those things to successfully
compress my springs back then.

Like you, I was also creative today and saved about $30 by creating my own
horn "brush" with a small piece of mini-pvc drip irrigation pipe, a short
length of zip cord and a dollop of solder.  Threading the zip cord through
the ends of the pvc, I left a bit of bare wire on each end.  On the horn
button side, I created the "brush".  I put a large droplet of solder on the
short exposed section of wire on the other end and shovedmthe soldered end
up into the end of the pipe, with about 1/8" of the solder extending out.
Then, I shoved the soldered end into the hole at the top of the horn socket,
placed the horn button in place and voila!!  Mrs. Jones yelped for the very
first time!  I'm missing one of my horns --  and I now have no doubts that
it's low note that's missing, ha ha.  One of these days I may get a "proper"
brush -- but for $25 and a part that's never seen -- I won't be in any
hurry.  The improvised brush works great.

Cheers,

Jeff in San Diego