remove/replace how

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: remove/replace how
From: Ernest Husmann <chusmann@execpc.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 13:20:19 -0600
Several people who follow this list have asked that I provide the method
used to remove the oil seal from the differential pinion shaft on the
TR6.  First, the differential was out of the car as I was rebushing and
doing general check over of the drive train.

Following my request for suggestions on how to remove the old oil seal,
I received several responses indicating that I should place a screw
driver between the oil seal and differential casting and pry up and
out.  This resulted in the outer edge of the seal rolling up and inward.

Another suggestion was to use a chisel to cut the outer edge of the
seal.  Tried that and only resulted in more rolling inward.  I thought
if I could remove some of the seal face I might have a better chance of
cutting through the outer edge of the seal.  So with the chisel I began
to remove some of the outer face until the seal started turning inside
the casting.

By this time I had removed about a third of the outer face.  I have one
of those pry bars that looks like the worlds largest screw driver which
I was able to place through and behind the inner edge of the seal.
Holding the pry bar across the face of the seal and using the opposite
side of the casting as a leverage point I was able to get the seal to
pop out with virtually no resistance by using short quick strokes.

There was not damage to the inner face of the casting, which I ahd some
fear from using a chisel.

Not much finesse, but it did work.  Hope this helps others down the
road.

Ernie Husmann
73 TR6 CF10475U