Re: Fuel filter and spillage

To: MKatzHOPE@aol.com
Subject: Re: Fuel filter and spillage
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 12:47:10 -0800 (PST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Sun, 13 Feb 2000 MKatzHOPE@aol.com wrote:

> What, if any spillage will occur during the removal and cleaning of the glass
>fuel filter on a 1959 TR#?

If you have a full tank o' gas, it will gleefully come out thru the lines
and pour over the ground.  This is not very environmentally safe, and not
so great if you're inside (or have dangers of open flame/sparks)

Some cars have a shutoff valve upstream of the fuel pump.

I undo the rubber hose that attaches closest to the fuel pump and shove a
pencil into it (or a 1/4" socket extension)  Still get some spillage
but only a few drips.  If the car has been sitting for a while usually I
can 'beat' the flow of gas through the pipe.

Also, you'll have to dispose of a half-cup of gasoline that's inside the
sediment bowl.  You do mean the sediment bowl on the fuel pump, right?
(If you save your dirty oil to be recycled, I guess it would be OK to mix
in the gas with that- any recyclers/env. techs know otherwise?)

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its new home is:
http://www.islandnet.com/~walker05/triumph/trfaq.htm