TR3A - Changing Gearbox oil - report.

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Subject: TR3A - Changing Gearbox oil - report.
From: Adrian Jones <AdrianJones@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 21:24:44 -0500
Hi All,
Many thanks for all the responses to the notion of removing the
transmission tunnel cover to access the gearbox fill/level plug.
The general consensus was that it wasn't worth the effort, so naturally I
went ahead and did it!
The operation was made considerably easier when, after rolling back the
carpet, I discovered that the PO had forgotten to replace any of the 16
securing bolts.  That's right!   The transmission cover was held in by
gravity!
So, the whole operation took five minutes and there was the gearbox in all
it's splendid glory.  Savouring the ectasy, I greased up the two nipples
for the clutch fulcrum, as well as the U-joint.  (Wow, I didn't know that
the U joint was literally about 1 inch from my elbow when driving!).   I
was also happy to see that there was good access to the starter motor,
should I ever have to replace it, and that there is some good groping room
around the clutch slave cylinder.
Topping up the gearbox was so easy that I actually felt a pang of joy.
If you've never taken the cover off before, I would highly recommend it -
say, next time you take the seats out.  Just to see the entire gearbox.
It's a lot cleaner than I would have imagined.
God, I love this car!
Regards,  Adrian