Timing

To: "triumph" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Timing
From: "David Lee" <davelee1@home.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 21:46:39 -0800
Hello all
I have a couple questions regarding timing.  I have an aftermarket cam but
have no way of telling what kind.  I know valve clearances may need to be
changed but could my timing needs change drastically?  I ran across the
instructions from the Moss catalog to roughly set timing and the idle wants
to run fastest at around 20 degrees BTDC.  This is also where the car seems
happiest temperature-wise as well.  I can idle and drive all day without my
electric fan turning on (set to turn on at 185 degrees)  But at this setting
the car has trouble starting.  When I set the car with a timing light to 4
degrees BTDC it tends to start right away but runs really warm and has less
power.  I had the cam degreed about two months ago but have some doubts
whether it is was done correctly.

I did switch to the Crane xr700 electronic ignition and feel everything was
done properly.

Also I read in the shop manuals to leave adjusting of voltage regulators to
professionals.  Is it that hard to properly adjust them?

Thanks
David Lee
64 TR4