Fixing a hole - lighting up time

To: "triumphs list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fixing a hole - lighting up time
From: "Ian Viles" <ianviles@derbysmoths.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 20:51:01 -0000
Listers,
This thread brought back a childhood memory. In the early 1960s I remember
my father fitting a light that attached to the drivers side window (of his
Ford Anglia Delux). It showed red to the rear and white to the front. This
was switched on at "lighting up time" when the car was parked on the road.
Newspapers used to provide the appropriate time for the area (and may still
do??). Nowadays, parked cars have to be parked the 'right way' (left side of
road in the direction of traffic) after dark and sidelights switched on at
lighting up time on roads where the speed limit is 40mph plus. An unpopular
tactic used by police locally is to target a row of parked cars where there
is a change of speed limit between 30 and 40mph - and ticket all the cars
without lights in the 40 zone. Don't ask me how I know this!!
Ian Viles (Derbyshire)
73 TR6