Re: Main/Rod Bearings/Thrust Washer Replacement

Subject: Re: Main/Rod Bearings/Thrust Washer Replacement
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 22:32:28 -0800
Cc: The List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Steve :

The 010/010 could well mean your crank has been turned to .010" under on
both rod and main journals.  Unfortunately, it could also mean something
else <g>

By far the best method is a micrometer, or to take the shaft to a shop
and have them measure it.

However, in a pinch, you can check the back of the old bearing inserts
to see what size they were (they almost always will bear the legend
'STD', '010', or '020', etc.), then buy new bearings in that size and
measure with plastigage to see if your crank is in need of (another)
regrinding.  However, if it does need to be ground, you will essentially
have to throw away the new bearings, and a set of bearings costs more
than a cheap micrometer.

One source of cheap micrometers is Enco Mfg Co. http://www.use-enco.com/
or 1-800-USE-ENCO.  NFI, etc.

Don't forget to check the old thrust washer and it's clearance, so you
can buy the proper thickness of new washer (and have the crank surfaces
ground, if necessary).

Randall