TR-3A - Rear shocks follow up; a surprising turn

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR-3A - Rear shocks follow up; a surprising turn
From: John Cowan <jfcowan@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 00:39:49 -0800
   Thanks to all who responded to my question about fluid for lever shocks
and I apologize for dragging this out, but my situation changed
considerably after I responded to the suggestion that I should figure out
what I'm trying to accomplish.
   So, I did what should have been done at the start.  I bounced both sides
up and down to see how the shocks were working now.  The right rear was
rock solid - down, up, stop.  But the left was very bouncy. (Probably
partly explains why the car lurches to the left on downhill right hand turns.)
    I removed the left rear shock.  The lever moves with moderate force,
less force near the full down position, where I could hear some gurgling
(Should they be silent?)  I opened the filler bolt and tipped the shock
almost 45 degrees before any fluid drained out.  It was clear and about 20 wt.
    So .... I will buy some of the fluid Moss sells, put it in and see if
the bugger works any better.  And I'll save the motor cycle fork oil, STP
and revalving suggestions until I can see how the car behaves with a normal
setup.
     BTW, I recall that I replaced this shock in 1965 shortly after
purchasing the car, because the lever of the old one was turning freely on
its axle - due to a PO's rear end accident.  Can't remember putting in
fluid and it's not leaking now, so maybe it came half full.  I also sort of
recall that, in my ignorance, I managed to replace this shock without
taking off the wheel!!!
    John

    Forward this review to a friend.  To subscribe, send email to:
jfcowan@pacbell.net.  Check out previous reviews at:
http://home.pacbell.net/jfcowan