Re: TR6 transmission and OD bench testing

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 transmission and OD bench testing
From: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 12:26:09 -0500
Rob Christopher wrote:

> Thanks to all who responded on this, including the pics from Power British.  A
> little more than I want to build just to do a five minute test, but showed me
>it's
> just a matter of putting an electirc motor of some sort on either the input or
> output of the tranny.
>
> But now one more question.  If I just go the BFD (big frikkin' drill) on the
>input
> shaft route, which direction do I have to spin the input shaft?  I want to
>test the
> OD while it's mounted on the tranny and know it's a really bad idea to run
>the OD
> in "reverse", (one way clutch can implode?) so which way do I spin the shaft
>to not
> destroy my freshly rebuilt J-type?
>
> Rob Christopher
> 74.5 TR6  CF27218UO
> Ottawa, ON   (10 more cm of the white stuff tonite)

Rob,

If you drive the trans from the output shaft (driveshaft end), you MUST run the
drill
counterclockwise.  Damage to the OD will occur if you try to engage it running
the
other way.  If you are driving it from the input shaft (bellhousing end), then
you must
run the drill clockwise.  You can drive either end properly provided you go
only in the
right direction.  Note that if you use the drill technique, you'll need a pretty
powerful 1/2" drill minimum or you won't get enough speed to build pressure in
the OD
hydraulic circuit.  About 1500 RPM under load should do just fine.  1200 might
be
enough - I say 'might' - I wouldn't say you have a problem if it won't work at
that
speed - switch to a bigger drill before you suspect a problem in the OD.

Regards,

Brian Schlorff    '61 TR-4     '64 TR-4     '72 TR-6     '79 Spit
     Power British                         Check out Power British
   1242 E. Ridge Pike                            on the 'net!
Plymouth Meeting, PA 19462
    (610) 270-0505                http://www.powerbritish.com/~britcars