Re: TR6 transmission and OD bench testing

To: "Rob Christopher" <robc@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 transmission and OD bench testing
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical-iwnet@lineone.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 23:51:13 -0000charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "List Triumph" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Hi Rob
You Don't say whether you wish to test before fitting to the box or after,
To test before re fitting go the route of making the plug with nipple, you
could test in so far as watching to see if the innards move when pressure is
applied,(this will only work on the J type as the A type relies on assembly
to the box to complete the mechanism but the J is a self contained unit).If
you wish to test after refitting to the box follow the drill route, this is
a method I have used on several occasions there may be other methods out
there.
Bellow is an extract that I wrote about releasing the tension on the
splines, it works equally well for testing a rebuilt box, allow the box to
sit filled with oil to the correct level for about 1 hour before turning to
allow the oil to flow to all the places it needs to get.
If your tranny has o/d please don't forget to release the tension on the o/d
cone clutch and one way roller clutch, this op is detailed in the manuals,
if you don't you will not separate the two components. If the box is out of
the car and you are not sure of the status of the cone/roller clutch if you
have access to some drills and taps and optionally a lathe you can make up a
plug with a grease nipple in to allow you to pump oil into the unit to
release the cone. If you don't have access to the tools proceed as follows,
connect a power supply (battery charger or jump leads from battery) to the
solenoid, fit a moderately powered electric drill (circa 500w) to the input
shaft, grip the chuck up moderately tight (not so tight as to risk marking
the pilot bush land, also you don't want it to slip as this will also cause
marking). When you have all this set-up select a gear, I usually use third,
then spin the box using the drill whilst a helper (forgot to warn you about
that) disconnects the power from the solenoid a couple of times, if it works
you will hear the load on the drill change and /or see the output flange
increase in speed.

Hopefully helpfully, Graham.