Re: Lug Nuts for VB 8 Spoke Alloy Wheels

To: Greg Hendrix <gahendrix@att.net>
Subject: Re: Lug Nuts for VB 8 Spoke Alloy Wheels
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 13:10:36 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
>Barry Schwartz, I believe the photo of your red Spit has BFGoodrich Comp
>T/A's. True? If so, what size rims, tires, etc?
>Would you recommend them?
About the lug nuts, I can't say for sure with those wheels, but I would bet
that stock lug nuts WON'T work.  MOST mag style wheels use what's commonly
referred to as a shoulder type of lug nut.  Many of the better aluminum
alloy wheels will use a pressed in steel insert, which is what the
Panasports have, that will allow the use of cone type lug nuts which tend
to center the wheel better. The steel wheels have a conventional cone type
interface.  Besides that the Spitfire uses a somewhat unique, and rather
small thread for the studs.  And yes, I have BFG 205/60R-13's radial TA's
in on 6 inch Panasport rims.  I would highly recommend them, however 5 inch
is on the narrow side for a tire this wide.  With a stock Spitfire or even
mildly tweaked, I doubt you could get into serious trouble with these
tires, unless you REALLY tried.

72 PI, V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (long term project)