Re: TR6 steering rack question

To: <Creigtrium@aol.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 steering rack question
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 18:44:15 -0000charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "List Triumph" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Hi Creig
If it is like most Triumphs I have worked on the rack is mounted in rubbers
under the clamps and I would guess that the rubbers have deteriorated over
the years to give this problem. Over tightening of the U clamps that hold
the bushes can result in a dangerous condition known as fully floating rack
syndrome this is accompanied by the side effect of a loss of directional
control. I would recommend new polyurethane bushes and clamps if this is the
mounting system used. Alternatively you could go for the solid rack mount
though this removes some of the compliance from the system and IMO can lead
to premature wear on the rack.

Graham.