Ignition switch

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Ignition switch
From: John Summers <trumpet@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 15:38:02 -0500
Dear folks, I went out to my '74 TR 6 today for my daily errands and
when I turned the ignition key notices a milisecond of hesitation before
the car fired.  Noting that I had noticed this I shut it off and tried
again just for fun.  This time the milisecond turned into several
minutes of turning the key with no response.  I was getting power
through the switch because the guages would register and the radio would
play.  After checking wll of the known (to me) connections under the
hood I gave it another shot.  Nothing.  So I sat there and fiddled with
the key, turning it off and on for 10 or 15 tries.  The beast would
start randomly and run normally.
So I drove to the most important destination and left it running while I
went inside.  Got home ok and shut it off and of course it wouldn't
start.
Does this sound like the problem is in the switch to you?
If so will it require a new switch or can I take this one out and play
with it,,,,no, I'd get a new one.  In this case, are all ignition
switches alike?  I.E., can I get a General Motors or Toyota "switch" or
do I shwll out the $$ for one from our normal catalog suppliers??
This is my "only" driver so I need it's full cooperation.
Thanks folks,
John Summers
Jacksonville, FL