Herald Questions

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Herald Questions
From: Tadd Clayton <t.clayton@auckland.ac.nz>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 09:37:04 +1300 (New Zealand Daylight Time)
Hi everyone

We're progressing with the dismantling of our 1963 Herald Coupé in preparation
for a
restoration and have nearly stripped the chassis.  I've got a couple of
questions that I
hope someone can help with.

On cursory examination the chassis has suffered from some rust, generally in
the outriggers,
and some dents.  We are planning to check the chassis for any distortions as
well.  We
noticed that the outriggers are generally 'U' sections rather than box sections
(apart from
some reinforcing pieces near joints).  As long as we're doing some welding
repairs on the
chassis would it be worthwhile boxing in the U sections to provide extra
rigidity?  When we
were disassembling the car we found huge amounts of dirt, stones, etc in these
U sections
and boxing them in would also avoid that problem in the future as well.

My other question relates to the doors.  When stripping down one of the doors
we noticed
that the quarter light window is attached to the door with several fairly large
chrome
plated rivets.  Before I take the angle grinder to these rivets to finish
dismantling the
door, I thought I'd ask for the benefit of the experience of anyone who has
done this job
before.  Is there a best way to dismantle this part of the door?  Are the
rivets easy to
source and easy to replace when we want to reassemble the door?  Is there
anything we should
be aware of?

Thanks for any help.

Tadd
1963 Herald Coupé (in pieces scattered around the garage)