engine rebuild - newbie - help

To: "'TR-List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: engine rebuild - newbie - help
From: "Musson, Carl" <musson@chekhov.arts.usf.edu>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 15:34:49 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
I am getting ready to dive into an engine rebuild for the '3.

First stop the parts catalog...  geez - what all do I need to look at
regarding replacement?   Ok, maybe not everything right?
So...
Engine ran strong when pulled.  Some blowby that was obviously from a
cracked/chipped piston and just worn out rings.

Which items should I not even think about re-using?  (besides pistons :^)  A
parts list of this group would be helpful.

What should be machined (again without even thinking about it)?

What should be replaced if determined to be out of spec?  Machined or
Rebuilt?

Any and all suggestions and advise appreciated.   I consider myself a decent
"cookbook" mechanic.  I can follow directions - either written or verbal.
My local mechanic has said that he is available for advise and assistance if
I run into any difficulties.

Respond off-list if you wish.

Thanks in advance..

Carl