Re: Cleaning up rubber parts?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Cleaning up rubber parts?
From: "Philip Haldeman" <haldeman@accessone.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 18:47:11 -0800charset="Windows-1252"
Cc: <bethken@erols.com>
Regarding the *rumor* that Armor All has harmed tires:  I've heard it, and
it was referred to in an article by car-care expert Larry Reynolds.  Quote:
"The silicone oil in Armour All (sic) may actually dissolve the wax and be
the cause of premature tire side wall cracking/failure.  It is rumored that
some tire manufacturers will not honor warranties on failures caused by
silicone based products.  I am in the process of checking with the major
tire manufacturers to determine the validity of this rumor.  In conclusion,
any tire dressing should contain a UV protectant to bolster the efforts of
the carbon black and preferably not contain any silicone."

Reynolds, however, recommends Lexol's *Vinylex* above all else.  Vinylex
does contain silicone, but it's apparently used in a different way,
chemically.  I don't think it's "silicone based", as Armor All may be, and
if I'm reading this right.  On the other hand, we have no way of really
knowing what's in Armor All today, vs. years ago, etc.  And the rumor is
still a rumor.  I don't like Armor All because it gives a very artificial
look, IMHO.  Vinylex and Keyston (both sold by Moss, incidentally) have a
more natural, but still a deep, shiny, new-like appearance.  I just got some
Vinylex this afternoon, and I'm going to try some this weekend.  Armor All
always seemed like a sledgehammer to me.

--Phil Haldeman
haldeman@accessone.com