Re: Guage gasket alternatives <174601bf7e59$e0b04220$bc0b5e1

To: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Subject: Re: Guage gasket alternatives <174601bf7e59$e0b04220$bc0b5e18@san.rr.com>
From: Dave Chu <dave@ece.concordia.ca>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 00:48:49 -0500
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>

In message <174601bf7e59$e0b04220$bc0b5e18@san.rr.com>you write:

>For the large guages (speedo, tach), two loops of self forming teflon valve
>packing (3/32 X 36" rope) worked great.  I figure if it can be used to keep
>faucets air and water tight, it should be able to at least keep the dust out
>of my guages.  While the latter was probably not the best alternative, it
>seems to work just fine for now.

   I re-did my electricals last year, for the large gauges I use vcr/tape
   belts.  I just brought the gauge to my local surplus electronic shop
   and they were able to match up tape recorder drive belts to the gauges.
   Just another source for parts, keep up the good work and sorry to hear
   about your dash from Rimmer.

   I still have my old dash, at the sametime when I re-did my electrical
   with the dash off.  I made some templates of the dash so I can make
   a custom one later with more guages.  It was not difficult, all you
   need is a router, and two different size flush trimming bits.

   I use the larger flush trimming bit and  1/2" plywood to get the shape of
   templates and the holes.  I then use the bearing from the smaller
   bit and place it onto the larger bit to make the step on the templates
   gauge opennings needed to mount the gauges.

   If you plan to make your own via the router method you have to be
   careful about the depth of the router bit.  You don't want the bit
   to gouge into the original dash, like I did on a small section :(.
   However, I was not really satified with the step created with this
   method. The original has more material for the gauges to rest on
   that what I got.  Good luck.

Dave                                                  |\ |     | |
Dave Chu                                 \/  \/       | /|     | |
Dept. of Elec. & Comp. Eng.                           |/ |     | |
Concordia University              Voice:(514)848-3115   Fax:(514)848-2802
1455 de Maisonneuve W. H961       Email:dave@ece.concordia.ca
Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3G 1M8  http://www.ece.concordia.ca/~dave/addr.html