Painting under the hood.

To: The List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Painting under the hood.
From: "Brumback, Tom" <BRUMBACKT@phibred.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 23:53:33 -0600charset="iso-8859-1"
All...

I am getting ready to have my '74 TR6 painted and I am doing most of the
prep work/ painting under the hood as I make some repairs etc.  I would like
some advice on painting.

The engine is very rusty but runs well.  I bought some POR15 to paint the
engine (not sure if I'll use a brush or spray) to adhere to the rust etc.  I
will also use it on some parts of the frame.  However, I am not sure how to
treat the fender wells and all the other panels under the hood.  I would
like to spray the hole thing with the POR15, but I am not sure how well it
will bond over the existing paint. Has anyone done this or had any
experience/good ideas.  I don't want to have to strip all that paint off and
don't know how to do it easily and safely.  Most of the paint is in good
shape but there are patches with some rust.  I have most removable items
under the hood removed and would like to do this before I replace them all.

I would appreciate any good ideas.

Tom