Re: Any SU 6 Gurus?

To: Mike Mason <mmason@lindenwood.edu>, Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Any SU 6 Gurus?
From: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 11:47:36 -0500
Mike Mason wrote:

> OK, I give up.  The front float bowl, about fifteen minutes after you shut
> the car off, will hiss or "sizzle" and petrol will run out of the overflow
> tube.  I have replaced the top, put in a new Gross Jet (both carbs), set
> the float level within specs, and checked everything else I can think of.
>
> I detached the emissions hoses thinking that maybe back pressure was
> causing the petrol to pressurize and escape.  These are Australian spec
> carbs fitted to a '73 TR 6 so no jokes about the float bowls being upside
> down on this side of the hemisphere.  I tried driving upside down and that
> didn't change anything!
>
> Any more ideas?  I am tired of getting en miles to the gallon because all
> the petrol goes on the ground.  Fortunately no fires yet!!
>
> Michael
>         St. Louis, U. S. of A. or thereabouts

Michael,

Sounds like you're suffering from heat-soak in the float chamber causing the
fuel to
boil.  As it expands, it bubbles out the overflow giving the sizzling sound you
describe.  If you stop the car and immediately open the bonnet to circulate cool
outside air does it still do it? - Or only when the underhood heat is confined
when
the car is not moving and the fan is not circulating any air?

Perhaps a lean condition or retarded timing?

It was also suggested to check the pump - you can do this by placing an ordinary
C-clamp on the section of rubber feed line from the tank to the pump and
tightening
the clamp just enough to collapse the hose and stop the flow.  Wait the 15
minutes
after you shut the car off and see if the problem persists.  If the carb still
bubbles
over, you can be sure it isn't because the fuel is coming from the tank.

Regards,

Brian Schlorff    '61 TR-4     '64 TR-4     '72 TR-6     '79 Spit
     Power British                         Check out Power British
   1242 E. Ridge Pike                            on the 'net!
Plymouth Meeting, PA 19462
    (610) 270-0505                http://www.powerbritish.com/~britcars