TR4 Help Requested from Experts and/or List Lurkers

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR4 Help Requested from Experts and/or List Lurkers
From: Will Daehler <wdaehler@execpc.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 22:50:21 -0600
I've been wrenching away all winter in the garage with my frame off
resto. I've been working on this longer than I went to college and
certainly a lot harder.  I've been saving up questions for the list, on
different issues.

        EXHAUST SYSTEM:  Could it be anymore difficult? Right where the tail
end of the header pipe meets the pipe of the muffler there is a
transmission mounting bracket set up cleverly designed with eight bolts
and nuts of three different sizes and lengths and a dozen little pieces
of sheetmetal.  Add to this obstacle course, the bracket which is
supposed to squeeze the pipes together and hold them in location. My
question to the list is: has anyone had trouble with the front of the
muffler hitting the frame? I'm so close that I think it will rattle
right under my seat. One more inch of length on the front pipe of the
muffler would sure help it clear the frame entirely.  The back of the
muffler sure is close to the differential, but maybe thats because the
body is off and the frame is on blocks.

Second question:  Is that clamp that joins the muffler end pipe to the
front pipe of the resonator supposed to hang from the frame? Or does it
just join them together?  My frame has a little angle bracket right in
the area, (maybe for the gas line), but the Moss supplied exhaust system
bracket has no mounting hole. There just seems to be too much weight in
this section without any support. The next support is way at the end of
the resonator.  While the assembly  manual shows no support at the joint
of the muffler to resonator, it could be wrong.  The manual is wrong
certainly on the location of the exhaust system, showing it above the
frame.  I found it works better under the frame, and through the middle
of it at the grand inersection where the transmission crossmember and
all the bolts are.

ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
I've been getting ready to fire off the engine for the first time.  I've
made a temporary spot (wood shelf) for the battery and solenoid, and
have visions of adding a small gas can and a bracket to hold the oil
pressure gage still. My solenoid has the little push button. Positive
ground is my mantra, this year.  I'm going to run a line from the always
hot spade connector on the solenoid to the spade connector marked
negative on the coil. I have a short little white jumper wire from the
coil to the distributor.  I'm not too sure about this, but I thought
that the spade connector should go from the + of the coil to the
distributor.  This just leaves two spade terminals to use up on the top
of the coil. I'm guessing that the neg terminal remains unused, and
perhaps the + gets grounded.  Not sure. What do you think?

BATTERY GROUNDING  Final question for tonight.  When the body is back on
and the battery is sitting on the shelf, does the positive battery cable
get screwed into the vertical face of the fire wall?  I have a big hole
there, and it seems logical, and there is nothing else nearby.

Will Daehler
64 TR4 in Wisconsin