Re: TR6 Wiper and wash switches

To: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 Wiper and wash switches
From: Glenn Rattmann <k6na@cts.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 23:33:52 -0800
At 12:55 PM 02/29/2000 -0500, you wrote:

>body of the switch was considerably wider than the original switch.
>Although it fit the opening in the wood facia it didn't fit the metal
>bracket mounded on the back thereof nor did it fit the opening in the steel
>facia either.  I enlarged the opening in the steel facia and cut off the
>metal bracket and the switch fits just fine and works better than the
>original.
>
>The only problem is I must occasionally push the switch back into the facia
>as it tends to want to creep out.  ;-)

I replaced my TR6 headlight switch with one I bought from Moss ( think it
had Lucas written on it).  They have a blurb about the minor differences in
fit in the catalog, and they were right on all their points.  As Dave says,
the new ones are much better quality.  It is a bit of a chore, though,
enlarging the rectangular hole in the metal panel behind the wood panel.
Using a couple files, and working slowly, one can file out the excess metal
without dinging your wood dash.

I remember when one of my cars was maybe a month old, the original headlamp
switch exploded, as Moss describes!  The dealer gave me a new switch under
warranty (1974), and that second Clear Hooters switch is still working
today, although it feels mushy and will die someday I'm sure.  The switch
from Moss is in the other car; I put it in about a year ago and it has a
great feel.

Glenn Rattmann  74.5 TR6 X 2 (one since new)
San Diego