Sycromesh Gearbox Question from a Non Mechanical Individual

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Sycromesh Gearbox Question from a Non Mechanical Individual
From: VK0216@aol.com
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 15:47:28 EST
     I purchased a really nice 75 TR6 (restored) and immediately noticed a
problem.  A small leak of transmission fluid from the front seal.  Not being
mechanically inclined but willing to learn I ensured that my gearbox fluid
was topped off and went to identifying a reputable mechanic that could
resolve my problem.  I would say that I would get about a 3" by 3" small
puddle after each use.
     There was no noticeable problems with shifting at all but the constant
staining and smell associated with this became a problem since I have an
attached garage (next to the kitchen) and my wife didnt like it.  Therefore,
I had a problem.
     I took it to a local foreign automotive shop and asked them to look at
it.  They determined that I had a bad front and rear seals and they could
replace.   They have much experience with triumphs.  I told them to take a
look at the clutch assembly while they had it out and  they showed me that
the teeth were all but worn out so I had them put in a new clutch assembly.
     They put everything back together and I have had it in my garage for the
past month or so. (bad weather).  Since we had some nice weather this past
weekend I took it for a spin and sure enough, it was leaking transmission oil
out of the front seal.
     Took my triumph back to them and they took it all apart again and I just
went over to look it over with them.  Basically they could not specifically
identify why it was leaking thru the front seal.  The seals all looked good.
The master mechanic could not find a breather hole in the top of the housing
that would allow pressure to be released from the transmission and therefore
the pressure caused the fluid to push out.  They want to put a pressure
release hole in.  Long story, but can anyone shed any light as to whether
this is a good idea and why if one is required, isnt there one there to begin
with?  Any comments/ideas would be appreciated........thanks