Re: Question 87mm piston & liner sets

To: Gbouff1@aol.com
Subject: Re: Question 87mm piston & liner sets
From: Al Sutherland <asuther@connect.ab.ca>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2000 11:28:07 -0700 (MST)
Cc: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Gary: I had my tr4a engine rebuilt last winter and the machine shop bored
the existing liners to fit the new 87 mm pistons. I am not sure what they
charged but is was no where near 350.

A couple of things you should consider when the engine is being rebuilt.

1. Consider having the rear seal upgraded, I had a rope seal installed in
mine and it seems to work fine, no leakage yet. Moss also sells a positive
oil seal for triumphs.

2 Consider having the rotating components balanced. I had the pistons, rods,
crank, flywheel, pressure plate and the front pulley, extension and fan all
balanced. I has made a real difference in how the engine idles and revs.
Very little vibration. I was suprised how much things were out of balance,
the machinist drill holes in the crank counterweights that you could stick
your little finger into. The fromt extension piece was also way out of
balance. It wasn't expensive eighter $ 200 to balance everything.

I also sent the camshaft away to have it reground to a higher profile and
the head upgraded to hardened valve seats and positive valve seals.

Al Sutherland
Sherwood Park Alberta Canada

66 TR4A IRS (originally from Calif.)