Re: Dipping Car Bodies

To: bbrewer@lightspeed.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Dipping Car Bodies
From: LaJoMor@aol.com
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2000 01:01:40 EST
Bill.....I am currently ready to take my TR250 "tub" in for blasting to a
firm here in the Denver area called Blast Tech.They do media blasting....of
all types. They use plastic media to remove paint and primer. They use soda
blasting for aluminum bodies/parts. They use a fine blended sand mixture for
rust removal. They use some type of titanium material also. I have visited
their shop and saw an XKE and a 240Z that were just finished and a 120 next
in line. The results were amazing. I am convinced this is the only way to go.
It also gives a little tooth to the metal to which primer adheres very well
to.
I have done quite a bit of research on what would be the best way to prepare
the tub for priming and painting. I have yet to hear anything encouraging
about dipping bodies etc. In fact, all of what I have heard has been to
negative side of such a procedure. From what I can surmise the biggest
drawback  is the inability to get all of the liquid chemicals neutralized and
out of every little nook and cranny on the body etc. The worst case
result.....primer on, paint on and out oozes a little dipping chemical and
your paint is shot.
For whatever this is worth....
Larry M.
TR250