Re: Triumph USENET newsgroup

To: jonmac@ndirect.co.uk
Subject: Re: Triumph USENET newsgroup
From: Bill Gunshannon <bill@cs.uofs.edu>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 11:03:17 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net (Triumphs List)
According to John Macartney:

> I've read the various views with interest. Speaking purely personally, its
>taken me the
> better part of two years to get to grips with autox.team.net as it is. As my
>experience in
> written communication has its origins in the days of a sharpened goosequill
>with a pot of
> sand to scatter across the parchment, any transition from this forum to a
>more public one
> will certainly not see me following in its wake. I advocate keeping things
>simple - like a
> Herald/Spitfire back axle. At least this arrangement works continuously and
>most of the
> time - which cannot always have been said for its mechanical counterpart.

One of the biggest arguments I can give for a Newsgroup over a Mailing List
is coverage.  A person with interest in a subject may stumble over the group
(while reading other groups, or maybe while doing a web search) and bring
new blood into the family.  A Mailing List is known only to it's members
and while it may be found through something like the VTR web page (which is
how I found it) it could just as easily get missed or mistaken for something
about motorcycles.  Just my $.02.

bill

--
bill@cs.uofs.edu         |  and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.