USENET Trivia

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: USENET Trivia
From: pRob <prob@prob.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 08:02:37 -0800 (PST)
> All USENET News is public.  Some people use News Software to run local
> setups, but they are not a part of USENET (as a piece of trivia, USENET
> predates the INTERNET as most people know it and although I don't have
> exact dates at hand, it probably predates the APRANET wihich was the
> private pre-cursor to the INTERNET.)

USENET started around 1980 (maybe '79--this was a while ago :)  The
earliest versions used uucp (and some sites as late as 1994 where still
using uucp--that's unix to unix copy, by the way.  It's my little revenge
on not knowing what fluif was at first).  It then migrated to ARPANET and
then to the internet.

I prefer the mailing list format, personally.

Rob