Re: **** Pretty Park Worm warning ****

Subject: Re: **** Pretty Park Worm warning ****
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2000 21:38:22 -0800
Cc: 6 Pack Digest <6pack@autox.team.net>, spitfires@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Tony Gordon wrote:
><snip>
>
> Like all viruses, worms and trojans, it will not do anything if you do not
> open it.  If anyone sends you a file with "park" in the title, or an .exe
> with a size of 54,898, do not open it.  Just delete it ASAP.

I agree with Tony, this is not a hoax.  In addition to replicating
itself by mailing to everyone in your address book, it modifies your
system and tries to communicate information back to it's originator
(apparently somewhere in France).  See
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/prettypark.worm.html for more
details.

IMO, you should NEVER open an attachment with a .exe extension until you
:
1) Contact the sender to see if they deliberately sent you the file.
2) Save the file to disk and run a virus checker (with the latest
pattern updates) against it.

The same thing goes for Word documents (.doc files), Excel spreadsheets
(.xls), etc.

Randall
ex-IT Manager