Re: Off-topic, but LBC -- MAYBE

To: jmcneal@ohms.com, smith007@mindspring.com, erl@unix.mail.virginia.edu, triumphs@autox.team.net, vafred@erols.com
Subject: Re: Off-topic, but LBC -- MAYBE
From: "R. John Lye" <rjl6n@server1.mail.virginia.edu>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 17:35:50 -0500
James Ruffner wrote:

> Interesting....The director of the film, Barry Levinson, I believe, was a
> Grad student here when he developed the story.  I've had my TR-3A here for
> a long time, and have known most of the afficianados here thru the local
> British car club, but don't remember hearing that fact...
>
> On Tue, 7 Mar 2000, Fred Thomas wrote:
>
> > James, the T/R 3 in the movie "Diner" (HBO yesterday) belonged to a
> > fellow employee at U.VA, Mr. R. John Lye, he rented it to them for
> > the entire casting.

Hi,
      Many of the old timers on the list know this already, but it
is true that I owned the TR-3A that MGM rented as the lead in the
Barry Levinson movie Diner, which I understand was recently shown
on HBO.  In fact, I still own that car.  As the owner of the car, I
was welcomed onto the set whenever I wanted to come down and got
to meet Kevin Bacon.  MGM treated me exceptionally well, and the
whole process was great fun.

Cheers,

John Lye
rjl6n@Virginia.edu