Re: Lead Substitutes

To: "Paul Brandsema" <lbc61tr4@usa.net>, "Triumph Email List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Lead Substitutes
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 14:25:07 -0800charset="iso-8859-1"
Paul,

The PO had new OEM valves installed on my Spitfire that he purchased from
British Leyland many years ago.  In other words, they're made for leaded
fuel only.  He only put about 3k on them before selling the car to me
recently, and he uses the cheap, off the shelf lead substitute stuff.  The
car runs beautifully.

I haven't put any gas in yet, but I will be soon, and I'll be going the STP
(or other off the shelf) route.

What I want to know is, after running lead substitute for 20k or so, will
the valves and seats have enough build up on them to start using unleaded
without any ill effects like so many others have reported with cars that
originally ran on premium leaded, but then moved over to the unleaded
petrol?

Best wishes,

Jeff