RE: Tailpipe Colour

To: "'MG Nuts'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Tailpipe Colour
From: "Randall" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 17:09:06 -0800charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Dave :

Don't know if this answers your question, but I've noticed that most, if not
all US cars (running on unleaded gas) now have black tailpipes.
IMO, what happens is that at least once in the car's lifetime, it was rich
enough to smoke, leaving carbon deposits in the tailpipe, and the tailpipe
never gets hot enough to burn off the carbon.  Many cars (that pass the
California required smog inspection) seem to blow a little black everytime
they start cold.

Lead oxide, of course, is white (that's why they used to use it in paint),
so I've always assumed that was the white in leaded tailpipes.

I would guess the deposits on your plugs are from your Valvemaster, as my
plugs stay almost perfectly clean (or have black soot) if I don't use an
additive.

Randall