Gearbox SOS!

To: "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>, "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Gearbox SOS!
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 09:42:20 -0800charset="iso-8859-1"
Greetings fellow listers.  I'm having a perplexing problem with my gearbox
and I've about exhausted all hope.

I have a '67 Spitfire Mk3.  The P.O. swapped transmissions at some point and
installed a Mk2.  The gearboxes on both are identical, except Mk3 was the
first year that Triumph incorporated a back-up switch for the reverse lamps,
which also debuted on Spitfires with the Mk3 model.  Another lister
generously swapped me a Mk3 gearbox cover with backup switch for my Mk2
cover, so I could have properly functioning back-up lights again.

Before I made the swap, all gears worked perfectly.  Now with the new
gearbox cover installed, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and reverse all work fine.  And while
I can shift into first, 1st gear "locks up" and the gear (presumably) will
not turn when engaged. It's as if I've put the car in "park".

I've tried removing and reinstalling the cover today with fruitless results
so far.  I don't have enough expertise to troubleshoot this on my own.
Before removing the cover, I made certain that the gearbox was in neutral.

Please, does anybody know what's going on?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff in San Diego