Re: coolant

Subject: Re: coolant
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 12:09:20 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, spitfires@autox.team.net
Fred :

I haven't tried it, and I'll definitely let someone else go first.

If you look at their technical specs, their product has _half_ the
thermal conductivity of conventional water/antifreeze, and a lower
specific heat.  This means the metal surfaces have to run hotter to
transfer the same amount of heat to the coolant, and you have to move
more coolant (or run the coolant hotter) to remove the same amount of
heat.

No big surprise then to learn that for "Street Rods, Muscle Cars, and
Hi-Performance Street Machines" they recommend one of their high=flow
pumps and radiators.  I don't know about your collector car, but mine
does NOT have "low compression ratios and horsepower" <g>

>From their FAQ : "Most vehicles ... need some sort of modification to
establish the necessary flow rates required for effective operation with
NPG".

Their idea of 'normal' operating temperature (which NPG runs hotter
than) extends to 230 degrees, which is already enough to ruin the temp
gauge on a TR3 (BTDT).

BTW, their product does contain additives, which they claim never wear
out.  However, their warranty page does not even mention the NPG
product, and only gives a 1 year warranty on components when used in a
"street driven vehicle".  I'll bet that, when your irreplaceable
original thermostat housing rots through in a few years, all they will
say is "Sorry".

Also, it does boil at 370F, atmospheric pressure.  This is less than
pure ethylene glycol (normal antifreeze, 387F).

Just my $.02 worth.

Randall