RE: Sensible advice please

To: "'spitlist@gte.net'" <spitlist@gte.net>, Pat Fischer <pfischer@unicom.net>
Subject: RE: Sensible advice please
From: "Garner, Joseph P." <JPGarner@UCDavis.Edu>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 16:36:17 -0800charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "Garner, Joseph P." <JPGarner@UCDavis.Edu>, "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
As I said to pat in my reply to Pat's message, it's probably and english
thing. I guess with our innate tendency to queue and do as we're told ;-) we
drive extremely defensively as a nation. In fact, I have never felt as  safe
in a car outside of briatain as i generally do when i am there. For
instance, when driving at 70mph, i like a BIG safety cusion ahead of me
(i.e. one which i could react, slow, and steer within), but most of the time
on the freeway here, people drive happily with a 15 foot gap (EEEEEEK!). To
be honest, it doesn't matter what safety features you have, if you're
following at 70mph with 15 feet if something happens, you are going to wipe
out pretty bad. My friends tease me for slowing down to make up the gap
which someone has just merged into... well everyone apart from my two
friends who used to be in the military and were taught to drive properly,
and drive with exactly the mentality i do (though with greater proficiency I
am sure!).

yea! like minded people!

;-)

cheers