Rear Suspension

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Rear Suspension
From: "Stéphane St-Amant" <steph71tr6@crosswinds.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 13:15:55 -0500
Hello fellow listers

Well, the 6 looks quite naked right now.  Everything in, on and around the tub
is removed.  I'm currently working on the next step which is to remove all the
suspension parts so that I have more space to work (repair the tub in the
critical
places, like the rocker panels) before taking it off the frame.

I started with the rear.  All is removed but the trailing arms.  Is there a
secret or a special gizmo that need to be removed in order to take them out?
 I removed the 4 nuts on each arm, detached the brake lines and the hand brake
cables, removed all the wheels componnents (brakes, hub, axles...).  Is there
anything else or should I just use more raw power?  The supports are bably
rusted
(news flash!!!) and I didn't want to use too much force since the arm are made
of aluminium.  Any BTDT out there?

Also, some question about lever shocks
1) Mine are very soft, and I don't know is they leaks (too much dirt on them).
 If after adding oil in them I find out that they leak and/or are still soft,
are they rebuildable?  If so, how easy/hard is it and can I do it myself?  Is
there rebuild kit out there (TRF, MOSS, VB, etc)

2) I came across 2 used ones that are described as "stiff".  Is it worth it
to buy them and this way have the spare set. (I think the price was 60$ or 90$
for the pair)

TIA

Steph
'71 TR6 CC59683L (Feeling pretty naked!)

BTW, quite impressive what experience can do.  It took me 4 hours to take out
everything (but the trailing arm) from the right rear (first side I did), and
only 45 minutes on the left side.  At this rate, if my first LBC takes me 5
years to complete a frame-off restoration, my fifth one will take me just a
little more the a long weekend!!!  Now, if I can just finifh that on ;-p