Re: NT: BMW/Rover cars

To: GuyotLeonF@aol.com
Subject: Re: NT: BMW/Rover cars
From: Jochen.Saal@t-online.de (Jochen Saal)
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 15:09:08 +0100
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Hello All,

It turns out to be true, I heard the first comments in the news this morning.
BMW officials told that they have negotiations since a couple of weeks with an
American-British investor group.
Problems are basically the old, totally outdated factory in Longsbridge and the
high currency rate of the British Pound, which makes the cars and work
expensive
and not competitive any more. (the UK hasn't joint the Euro currency)

The Unions are going to prepare for a fight, appr. 15,000 people are affected
from a possible lay-off in Middle England.

BMW want to keep Land Rover and the Mini. The quality issue with the Rover 75
has been successfully solved over the last 2 years. I could experience that
myself, I drove on of the first 75 and it was a really bad, however I drove one
of the latest models and it is now close to BMW standard - really good. It's a
pity, that the Rover 75 launch was delayed for over a year due to these quality
problems, it might have started to earn money sooner.
The Rover 75 is pretty well accepted in Europe except the UK. Colleagues told
me
that the Rover has the reputation of an old men's car. I don't know whether
this
is true, however sales in the UK is very weak.

Maybe BMW should have called the Rovers models a Triumph and put BMW engines
under the hood !

Regards,
Jochen Saal