Distilled Water is BAD??

To: "triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Distilled Water is BAD??
From: "John A. Simmons" <jsimmons@intrepid.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 13:51:58 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Can this be true?

John, '71 TR6
Berkeley Spings, WV

A month ago, I had the coolant system flushed in my TR6, and thinking I was
being consciencious, replaced it with a 50/50 mixture of antifreeze and
*distilled* water.  Last night, I was reading a popular book on collector
car maintenance and came across this:

"Mercedes Benz and a few others have gone to the extent of specifying the
characteristics of the ideal water to use in coolant.  They make the strong
point that distilled water NOT be used in your radiator.  Distilled water is
'mineral hungry', and will look to your engine block and other cooling
system components to try and absorb those minerals."

The author says he uses a certain brand of bottled water (Black Mountain)
that falls within Mercedes specifications.

So now I've got to replace the coolant again???!!!

--Phil Haldeman
haldeman@accessone.com