Shocks, Bushings and Trunions

To: Spitfire <spitfires@autox.team.net>, Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Shocks, Bushings and Trunions
From: Roger Elliott <relliott@cjnetworks.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 21:58:25 -0600
Hi Listers,

I have been working at replacing the shocks, bushings and redoing the
brake system on my 1980 Spitfire.  I started this job because I had a
leaking rear wheel cylinder that I have rebuilt once.  So I decided I
should replace it.  Then I got to thinking (that is the dangerous part)
that I should go ahead and rebuild the brake system and change over to
silicone brake fluid (or fluif).

Once I started that I got into the MAW (Might As Well) syndrome.  I MAW
replace the rear shocks and bushings and I MAW replace the front shocks
and bushings.  After all the car is 20 years old and has over 80,000
miles on it.  I have put on about 40,000 miles and I know I have never
replaced the shocks, trunions or bushings, with the exception of one of
the rear trunions when I had to replace the axle and I doubt the
original owner did either (I am for all practical purposes the second
owner).

I am using KYB shocks and poly bushings.  (The poly bushings have been a
headache trying to get them in some of the places.)

When I started on the front left trunion, I was surprised at how easily
the bolt, nylon bushings and sleeve came out.  Well as the bushings hit
the garage floor, I noticed that one side was worn clear through!  The
metal moisture seals were rusted and holes clear through.  Even worse,
the trunion was worn very badly.  There is probably less than 1/8 inch
left in the thickness of the trunion!

Boy am I glad I decided to do the all this now.  I hate to think what
would have happened if I had driven it this year without replacing
everything,  The amazing thing is that the steering didn't feel loose.
There was some shaking of the steering wheel at speed, but it wasn't bad
and it wasn't there all the time.  In fact I attributed it to the
bracket from the steering column to the tunnel support being lose.

So if you haven't checked them recently, check them now.

Roger Elliott
80 Spitfire