Re: Brake Fluid Identification

Subject: Re: Brake Fluid Identification
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 20:40:47 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Phil, Michael :

Probably the smell is the most distinctive difference between silicone
and glycol brake fluid.  Sniff a can of known fluid, then sniff the MC.
If you aren't sure they are different, they probably are the same. (To
my nose, glycol has an strong acrid odor, while silicone is almost
odorless and smells almost good.)

The feel on the fingers is also pretty distinctive, but I can't really
describe the difference.  Again, try some known fluid.

Last test is to dip a clean white plastic spoon into the fluid and then
look for color on the spoon.  Silicone fluid has a slight purple color,
while glycol ranges from almost completely clear (very faint amber
tinge) to kind of a cloudy grey (depending on age).

Randall