question re: rebuilding rear axles

To: spitfires@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: question re: rebuilding rear axles
From: Dan Buettner <danb@thelittlemacshop.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2000 20:20:12 -0600
Thanks to a very kind list member, I used a very nice Spit hub puller
today and managed to disassemble my rear axle hubs & bearings with
much less effort than I had feared.

But now I'm stuck trying to disconnect the trunnions from the
vertical links.  The bolts are stuck in.

On one, I've managed to get the bolt to budge out ever so slightly,
but that is after much work ... and the other is in there pretty
tightly.  Can't even get it to turn with an 18" breaker bar.

Anyone have any advice on whether or not I should continue to try to
remove these bolts, and how?

Thanks.

Dan
Dan Buettner  -  Des Moines, Iowa  -  mailto:danb@thelittlemacshop.com

1977 Spitfire, FM64159U, now with an O too. Runs & drives, but shakes
like crazy; needs new tires and a steering/suspension rebuild.
http://home.earthlink.net/~nickndan/gmachine/greenmachine.html

1957 TR3, TS15098L. Needs an O. Undergoing frame-off restoration begun 9/99.
http://home.earthlink.net/~nickndan/TR3/TR3.html

1988 Honda Civic 4WD Wagon. Gets me to work and back home again every day.
No home page. (go figure)