Re: question re: rebuilding rear axles

To: Dan Buettner <danb@thelittlemacshop.com>
Subject: Re: question re: rebuilding rear axles
From: Tony Gordon <tgordon@saginaw-city.k12.mi.us>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 13:45:56 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Dan,

Although not very familiar with the Spit, I have just helped my son replace
the trunnions on his '80 Spit, and on that series, there is only ONE bolt
securing the trunnion to the vertical link.  The lowest bolt (below the
trunnion bolt) is fixed (aka welded) in place and forms part of the fabric
of the vertical link - it also extends rearwards to provide a location for
the lower shock fixing point.  It sounds like your trying to undo something
that ain't going to do so!

The trunnion bolt is a bit difficult to locate, being hidden behind the
radius arm bracket.  Once you remove the radius arm bolt (pray that the DPO
put it in from the inside - guess how I know that matters), the arm can be
pushed out of the way, and then the bolt is pretty accessible:  once
removed, together with the bolt through the upper fixing to the tranverse
leaf, you should find that you can manoever the trunnion out fairly easily.

Good luck,

Tony Gordon