what did I do?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: what did I do?
From: GuyotLeonF@aol.com
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 18:18:10 EST
Cc: Christopher.childs@virgin.net, barry.clarkson@virgin.net (Baz), fot@autox.team.net (FOT), karl@kre.co.za, george@twinfirs.jpcinet.co.uk (George Walker), Stephen@f-phillips.freeserve.co.uk (Stephen Phillips), PIENAC1@alpha.unisa.ac.za, PIENAPA@alpha.unisa.ac.za (P A PIENAAR)
Today, (at the London Classic car Show), was quite a day...we recruited about
oh a dozen or so new members (for our club The TSSC) over the weekend, which
is nice, but today, a man, in all seriousness, came and offered me a direct
swap for my Vitesse, of his, and wait for it, his ROLLS ROYCE CORNICHE
CONVERTIBLE, because his wife was getting too old to be able to drive it any
longer, and he was looking for a 'characterful car' to drive around in its'
stead...my fellow TSSC members on the stand heard this offer, and the ensuing
conversation, during which I explained slowly and politely that in my
considered opinion how I thought that my 175 bhp Vitesse was perhaps not
really the most suitable car for his elderly wife to use as a run-about, and
how she might be somewhat more appreciative of a nicely restored Herald
Convertible with perhaps a Spitfire 1500 engine, twin SU's and a swing spring
to the rear...er what was I thinking of??? did I do the right thing??? have I
lost my senses??? am I completely mad??? oh god...

Mind you, I have put the last 16 years of my life into my Vitesse and I
haven't finished with it yet...and I don't need such a big car, I couldn't
even get it in my rented garage, and I would then have no club car, and and
and...oh god, and I would have to park it in the street, and how long would
it last at the hands of the vandals and other scum.
and would I regret it as much as I still regret the sale of my Herald in
November 1998.
and I have sunk over 40,000 GBP into my Vitesse so far, and I could buy a
very nice RR convertible for just 20,000 GBP...but but but, oh damn it all.

I then had a truely horrible drive home across London from North to SW, which
took two dreadful hours on crowded, rough, and dirty roads which I did not
enjoy...
wondering what such a journey would be like in a RR...damn...

but somehow, in my heart, I know I have made the right decision, I think...
I suppose I should have known when he asked me if the Vitesse had power
steering!
I muttered something about suspension turrets being in the way.

I shall make up for it, by representing the TSSC as the officially invited
representative at the dedication of the TR Registers' Triumph Monument at the
Triumph factory site at Coventry on April 16th. After all, I love my Triumph.

Regards

Léon F Guyot

Triumph Sports Six Club
International Liaison Secretary
1963 Triumph Vitesse 2-Litre Convertible
Wimbledon, London, England.