Hardtop winch system / glovebox fabrication

To: "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Hardtop winch system / glovebox fabrication
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 16:04:28 -0800charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
I finally decided to get my hardtop off the floor of my garage and suspend
it over my Spitfire on the ceiling where it belongs!

Details, photo and shopping/tools list for anyone who might be interested in
building one at:

http://www.ohms.com/spitfire/hardtop.shtml

I'm also working on fabricating a glove box based on the template of the
AMCO aftermarket accessory.  I decided to make my own after finding someone
who was willing to sell me theirs for fifty bucks.  All it is, is plywood
sprayed crinkle black, a couple of brackets, a hinge and a lock.  Another
reason I fabricated my own is because my car is RHD and my chances of
finding the AMCO kit that would fit my car would be frightfully slim at this
point.  A fellow lister was kind enough to draw me the templates and I cut
out the front of the box today and sprayed it crinkle black.  Rather than
cutting a simple rectangular door opening like the original, I decided to
angle the opening on one side and round off the corners to fit the contours
of the dash better.  I'm also going to send the door for the glovebox to the
gent who created the tiger maple dash and dash support for me, and have him
give the same treatment to the door.  So the glovebox will be black krinkle
finish surrounding a countoured door of tiger maple.  I will, of course,
post pictures and instructions for this project also.

Best wishes,

Jeff in San Diego