From TRF regarding The Coventry Inn

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: From TRF regarding The Coventry Inn
From: TRFWeb@aol.com
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 20:06:53 EST
Dear Triumph List,

     There has been some discussion on the list again about what is going on
in my life as it applies to The Roadster Factory, my Triumph parts company,
and to The Coventry Inn, my English pub and restaurant.  I sincerely
appreciate the genuine concern that has been shown for the businesses to
which I have dedicated my life.  I'd like to provide some quick explanations
regarding very complicated subjects.

     The fact is that restaurant work, for a small stand-alone operation, is
extremely difficult and time-consuming.  This is nothing I didn't expect, but
I have had to rely on a very small staff because I haven't had the kind of
response from the local community that The Coventry Inn deserves.  The more I
cut back to make ends meet, the more work falls on me.  Being open less hours
raises less money and supports less staff, which costs me more time.

     Because of time and money factors, I considered closing The Coventry Inn
entirely last week.  I am currently reconsidering this decision and opening
again this weekend for St. Patrick's Day.  I have good entertainment Friday
and Saturday, and a simple Irish pub menu.  This will give me a chance to
sell off the five barrels of beer I have in stock.  The responsibility for
maintaining jobs for people employed is also something I take very seriously.
 My plan right now is to open The Coventry Inn when I can afford to and to
close it when I can't.  For next week, the bar only will be open Monday
through Thursday, and we will sell meals on Friday and Saturday.  It will be
closed on Sunday.

     The Roadster Factory is my primary business.  The Coventry Inn was only
opened as an adjunct to it.  The Coventry Inn has absorbed the greater
portion of my time since it opened in August 1996.  I have been back at The
Roadster Factory this week, working on publications, and that is where I
belong.  It is very important that The Coventry Inn not be allowed to take my
time, my brian power, and TRF's money.

    No matter what, I will spend four or five days at TRF each week from now
on.  I think we all agree about the importance of TRF with regard to the
Triumph sports car hobby.  We are very short of cash, but we are getting
ready to sell parts this spring.  John Swauger and I are writing
publications, and Deb Gawlas is ordering inventory to sell, shipping it out,
and immediately reinvesting the money in more inventory.  For various
reasons, mostly the time and money drain of The Coventry Inn, we have had a
hard time for several years.  Please stand by us this spring and summer, and
I will renew my long term pledge to you to offer the best possible spare
parts service for Triumph sports cars.

Best regards,

Charles A. Runyan
Proprietor