Re: burning smells

Subject: Re: burning smells
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 06:32:26 -0800
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Dave :

I have no idea how to describe the other smells, but I'd like to point
out that it's entirely possible for the brakes to be hot, even when
you're not using them.  IMO hot brake is a pretty distinctive smell.
The rear brakes seem especially prone to mechanical problems that
prevent them from releasing completely, and both front and rear brakes
can have hydraulic problems that make them drag enough to get hot.

One problem that I found particularly difficult to spot was a rear brake
hose (the one from the body to the rear axle) that failed internally
such that it would not let fluid return from the axle to the hydraulic
system, except very slowly.  The brakes worked fine, but the rear brakes
would drag for the next 5 minutes or so, every time I applied the
brakes.  By the time I found the problem, the paint on the rear wheels
was discolored from the heat !

Randall
59 TR3A