advice needed: thrust washer shims

To: Triumphcars <Triumphcars@onelist.com>, Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>, spitfires <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: advice needed: thrust washer shims
From: Douglas Frank <frank@zk3.dec.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 09:50:58 -0500
Hello all

I've run into a problem rebuilding my GT6 non-OD :-( gearbox.  When
fitting the (NOS!) laygear and its (also new!) thrust washers, I get too
much endfloat.  The Bentley calls for .007-.013 and tells me to "rub
down" the backs if the washers are too thick.  But, I'm getting .017
inch-- too much!

Any BTDT?  Arithmetic says sticking a .003 shim behind each washer
brings it near to the middle of the spec, but would a .003 shim
survive?  (I mean, it's not supposed to spin after all).

The local tranny rebuilder (and he owns a GT6 too) says to just forget
about it-- the springs that load the front washer will keep it under
control.

tia!
--
Douglas Frank  Compaq Computer Corp.  Friendship, n.
ZKO            110 Spit Brook Rd.     A ship big enough to carry two in