Re: Brake Master Cylinder

To: davelee1@home.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Brake Master Cylinder
From: Chip19474@aol.com
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 15:58:19 EST
In a message dated 00-03-21 02:16:33 EST, davelee1@home.com writes:

<<  Do the seals get flattened after years
 and need to be replaced? should the seal be air tight?  The rubber seal
 looks like its in good condition and I think I should get a new cap as well.
 But is there a different problem I might be facing?  Even with a less than
 perfect seal I cant imagine the fluid coming out from under the cap unless
 theres some pressure forcing it out.   >>

Dave,

The rubber seal under the Brake Master Cyl Cap of my Spit also looks fine but
occasionally after driving on bumpy terrain or winding roads, I notice a
little seepage from the cap.  It's the original cap and reservoir so it's
probably warped slightly over the years.  I (you) could keep the fill level a
little lower...that may help but consider this...I also have some small
weepage from the oil ring seal between reservoir and master body....check
that out on your's.  Unfortunately, you need to take the master off to
replace the oil ring so I've been waiting for it to get worse!  I replace
about a half thimble full of fluid over a driving season so I've settled for
a neatly folded paper towel under the cyl to prevent paint loss...the diaper
comes off for shows!

Good luck,

chip

Chip Krout
'76 TR6 CF57822U (restoration underway)
'70 Spitfire Mk3 FDU78512L (ready for another driving season)